So Long for Now


Every time we go on a trip, we learn a few new things. This time I learned I can drive 12 hours straight with a very few quick stops, one of which was a 10 minute power nap at a rest area.

Here are a few other things we learned:

1.      Staying in Newark to visit NYC is not such a bad deal, if you have 5 people to pay for. However, if we ever go back on a romantic trip for two, it will be in the city or not at all. But if you do stay in Newark, the Hampton Inn near Newark’s Penn Station is very helpful, and Top’s Diner right down the road is a great place for a family meal. It’s not cheap, but it’s not NY prices either!


2.      The CityPass is a good way to see a big city. Skip some lines, save some money. But only if you know you can use all the tickets.
 

3.      You can only use the subway cards for 4 people on one trip. Brian knew this, but I did not. And so, he used one card with a little left on it, and I used another to get the kids in and then myself. For some reason it deducted 4 people, but only let 3 of us in. I could see them walking toward the train and I could not get it. This puts me in an irrational state of panic, and suddenly, after 2 days of limping around NY thanks to my stupid back, I go all Olympic hurdler and jump the turnstile. Of course there were 2 train officials right there, but they took one look at my confused middle-age lady face and just told me that it might be a good idea not to do that again.


4.     This really should be 3.a. because I only bring it up in reference to 2. In the Netherlands, in a town I can’t remember, the train goes from one town to the next on the line, and then it comes back again. Brian knew this, but I did not. Just after we got on the train we realized our camera was still inside the station on the bench. He went in to get it. I hummed along with the German high schoolers strumming some Red Hot Chili Peppers on their guitar until it became apparent that he wasn’t going to make it back. Again, grabbing both of our bags, I hurdled the Germans, letting out a couple of choice words on the way (much to their amusement) and jumped off the train. Brian watched this as he walked out of the station and said “you know this train comes right back here, don’t you?” Uh, no.
 

5.      Road trips require foods that don’t turn up in any other aspect of our normal lives. For instance, I need Twizzlers to drive. It’s food(ish) and entertainment all in one—you can peel them, you can even use them, briefly, as a straw. Similarly, Pringles, which have no place in our daily lives, are perfect for traveling—hard to crush them in the can, very entertaining to eat.
 

6.       I-80 is a very long turnpike, pretty much New Jersey to almost Michigan. That’s a long time on one road.
 
7.   After visiting a couple of 9/11 memorials, it was very strange to see my husband quietly depart the hotel to catch his early morning flight. And I know he was feeling strange about leaving his kids and wife to drive the long way by themselves. Life is precious. We are glad to be home together again. 

That’s pretty much all I have to offer. Until next time.

Popular posts from this blog

[British] Open Minded

[Wander] Lust in the Time of COVID, Part I: Fennville and South Haven

Little Earthquakes Everywhere